Monday, August 10, 2015

QSL Card of KN7ITX (07-22-1959) -- Contact 56 Years Later!

Hi Everybody:
Check out the attached QSL card.
It brought tears to my eyes.
Share the E mail and QSL card as you wish.
Sincerely, Richard K7ITX
Richard's Dad (Upper Left) and Richard [K7ITX]

From: Neil K7IPP
To: Richard [K7ITX]
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:56:11 PM
Subject: RE: Remember me?

Dick, Jr.
 
After I wrote the email and went back and looked at your QRZ page, I realized that what you just told me, was probably the case.  I'm terribly sorry to hear that your dad passed away.  I was afraid of that when I wrote several times to the e-mail listed on QRZ and the physical address in Tacoma and even tried calling.  All ended with no responses.
 
We met on the air as CW operating Novices.  We met several times in Gig Harbor while I was still in high school.  But we lost track of each other as I went on my personal life's journey at the end of high school.
 
I kept my original logbooks, which were required back then and then sorted through my QSL cards and found the one I got from your dad.  See the attached photos.
 
I saw that you were ex-KG7OQL, which meant that you probably got your call after I got mine (KG7HEA) in November 2013.
 
I operate exclusively on HF - 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 20 meters, digital modes only.  I am a DX'er and Award Chaser!
 
If and when I get back to Seattle, I'll let you know, so that we can meet up.  Once I moved to Arizona, the trips back to Seattle have become more infrequent.
 
Tell me about your dad and what he did to put food on the table.  How did he die?
 
I enjoyed being his friend!
 
73's, Neil K7IPP
 
From: Richard [K7ITX]
To: Neil K7IPPSent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: Remember me?
 
Hi Neil,
That was my Dad.  So cool to hear from you!  The real K7ITX became a silent key about six years ago.  I got his call sign on Dad's Birthday in March of this year.  We have the same name.  I'm Dick Jr (originally KG7OQL). 
The repeaters I use the most are on 2 meter and 70 cm: 
146.96 Seattle 9:00 AM and 9:00 PM frequently every day; 
441.825 Cougar Mtn. Bellevue 8:15 AM frequently every day;
442.450 Tacoma, Ch 13 Tower, 8:20 PM every Tuesday (try this one next week);
What frequencies are you on?
It would be fun to make contact and chew the fat over old times.
Thanks,
Dick Jr.
K7ITX

From: Neil K7IPP
To: Richard [K7ITX]
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:15:55 AM
Subject: Remember me?

Dick,
 
You knew me as KN7IPP, Neil Mayes, in Gig Harbor, WA.  I was a senior in high school at Peninsula High and we met one or two times at a diner on the Tacoma/Bremerton HWY in 1960.  I remember that you were a service repairman for GE (I think).
 
I've tried reaching you several times, but with no luck.
 
I let my license expire in June of 1960 and never got into ham radio, until about a year and a half ago.  I sat for and passed both my Technician and General Class licenses in November 2013 and passed my Extra in early 2014.
 
My life story is an interesting one.  It took me to SE Alaska on a Government Survey Ship, the Dominican Republic for a War, College to get a degree in Electrical Engineering and worked for two Fortune 500 companies.  I retired in 2002.
 
In 2007, my lady friend and I moved to Green Valley, AZ (south of Tucson) where we live in a gated, retirement community.  We married in 2012.
 
I'm using a 42' long wire through a UNAN connected to an LDG AT-ProII Autotuner to my Yaesu FT-950 transceiver.
 
In a year and 2 months I have managed WAS on 7 bands and DXCC, all using JT-65/9 (Digital Mode).
 
So, does my name and call letters ring a bell?
 
I'm dying to know how you are doing.
 
73's, Neil K7IPP
PS I got my license as KG7HEA, applied for and got back my old call letters, minus the "N" via the vanity call letter program.